Consider practicing the health promotion lifestyle strategies below to help improve your overall functional capacity & health status, thereby decreasing fat, inflammation, & symptoms. These lifestyle strategies will also help to help improve your performance at work, home, and while at play. In order to influence the body in burning rather than storing fat once needs to do the following:
1. Keep insulin levels down by eating low glycemic index carbohydrates, and to eat proteins and fats while eating carbohydrates to slow the sugar entering the bloodstream
2. Keep oxidation and inflammation levels down by loading up on antioxidants and essential fatty acids
3. Keep cortisol levels down with time and stress management strategies
4. Keep on moving with some regular moderate to intense fitness training which will increase functional capacity, metabolism, and muscle mass while decreasing fat mass
Biomechanical Neuromusculoskeletal considerations:
1. Maintaining neutral postures while in static seated (proper ergonomics) &/or standing postures, and while also dynamic motion (hip-hinge)
2. Microbreaks: laptop- every 10-15 minutes; docking station/PC- every 20-30 minutes
3. Active rehabilitation: increasing functional capacity- strength (2-3*/wk), cardiovascular endurance (150 min/wk @ 60-90% of max heart rate), flexibility, & motor control- coordination/ balance
4. Myofascial release: foam roller, tennis ball, &/or by a soft tissue therapist
5. Lifestyle factors: sleep- 7-8 hours for recovery (<7 hours ^ appetite & ^ fat gain)
Biochemical Electromagnetic considerations:
Hydration- half your body weight in ounces of water per day (if you're 100 lbs. = 50 oz per day of water).
In order to influence the body in burning rather than storing fat one needs to keep insulin levels down (low glycemic index carbs & eating carbs with proteins/fats), oxidation/inflammation levels down (high anti-oxidants & essential fatty acids), and cortisol levels down (stress management). In addition, by including some regular moderate to intense fitness training will increase your functional capacity, metabolism, and muscle content.
Cut some to all of the following:
1. Alcohol, sugar & white flour product carbohydrates (increases body inflammation)
2. Dairy: milk, cheese, ice cream, & butter
3. Salt, boxed, or packaged items (processed)> Bulk items
Eat small portions each meal including: from one hour of waking to every 3-4 hours:
1. Lean protein: chicken, turkey, fish, eggs, etc.
2. Good fats: avocado, nuts, seeds, olives, olive oil, etc.
3. Fruits & veggies: the full color of the rainbow
4. Legumes/ beans, & grains (low glycemic index carbs will release less insulin thus store less fat): oatmeal, buckwheat
Supplements to consider:
1. Fatty acids: fish or krill oil & borage or evening primrose oil
2. Anti-oxidant formula
3. B-complex formula
4. Multi-mineral formula
1. Stress management = time management which keeps cortisol levels down
2. Deep diaphragmatic breathing for relaxation and regeneration = meditation
3. Don't sweat the small stuff and realize it is all small stuff
4. Get out to nature- smell the roses & realize how interconnected we all are to it all
5. Get full spectrum light and/or sunshine in small doses